Thursday, May 13, 2010

High School Life

High School Life

Written by: Hyacinth S. Faune [SJSaranghae]

High School. Freshmen are likely to be more interested in what lies beyond the walls of a secondary school. The night before classes start, they get extreme insomnia. The adrenaline is fast pumping, full of enthusiasm. Time seems to have gone slower, as if it’s taking forever to reach the hourly strike at six. Hearsays are everywhere, that high school is definitely one of the most exciting events in one’s life. It’s all about the fun, the freedom and the drama, everyone hears. But what about the perils of high school? Like competition and taking your studies to the maximum level?

Personally, I think that high school life is a wheel of struggle. You never know where the odds will take you. Many times, it’s all about the stress. I’ve asked some people online on what major factors contribute to their levels of stress. Here’s what they’ve told me:

A Tsunami of homework”

“ASSIGNMENTS ENDLESS OF THEM

I PREFER EXAMS… they’re less stress.”

Parent expectations, and the possible repercussions in the future.”

“The drama, the number of assignments and tests, and the ridiculous grading system my school seems to think is fixing all their problems.”

High school is a world of uncertainty that all of us have to undergo. It is inevitable for a good future. Everyone has his or her own fair share of problems. I myself have problems on understanding some subjects. Unless of course, you want to live your life living on government hand-outs and be poor for the rest of your life, then you have no other choice.

As a junior high school student, I feel as if the weight of the world is upon my shoulders. Sometimes I wish time would go slower. It’s pretty ironic, especially when before I wanted time to speed up so that I could immediately step into high school. Who knew how things would change. Who knew that the rising adrenaline would suddenly drop down like an airplane crash? Being in a special science class puts survival to the test. It’s all about doing well consistently and putting your studies in your TOP priorities. There are times when I’d fret and cry buckets whenever I get a low score. I’d cry for half an hour because I think that one mistake is equivalent to a hundred others. My bag is draping down to the ground from the weight of all the books I carry everyday. My brain feels as if it would blow up anytime. Now, I’m currently seizing every opportunity that pops out of nowhere. Aside from the fact that it counts as additional points, I want to gain experiences that would make me remember High School.

Nostalgia. I remember those days in elementary when everything was simple and uncomplicated. It makes me crave for those past years. The times when I’d sit in the so-called “Tower of Doom” in the open field at the back of our school to watch the infatuating sunset. The sunset, spectrum of colors weaved into threads of gold and caramel. I’d stay until the first few stars appear. Now, I rarely go out to see the stars at night. When before I used to sit at the back trunk of our car to watch in marvel the stars in the ink black sky, now, I’d just be busily answering a heap of homework and cramming for the tests for the following day. Things aren’t the same anymore today. However, everything has its own time and phase. Going through high school may be tough; it’s a box of all problems imaginable: grades, expectations, addictions, relationships, peer pressure, self-esteem, and the drama. But these students are better off than drop-outs. [excerpt] Do high school drop-outs do well? A few do. But it’s like playing the lottery. The odds are stacked against you. Why take the chance?

To conclude this post, I would like to share to everyone “The SEVEN Secrets of getting Good Grades”:

Secret 1: BELIEVE YOU CAN

Secret 2: SHOW UP (show up in class. Don’t be absent if unnecessary)

Secret 3: DO EXTRA-CREDIT

Secret 4: GET ON YOUR TEACHER’S GOOD SIDE

Secret 5: BE STRONG IN TH RED ZONE

Secret 6: GATHER YOUR RESOURCES

Secret 7: DEVELOP SMART STUDY HABITS

The solution? Deal with your problems. Problems are only temporarily there to distract you from your goals. Once you overcome these problems, you just might survive high school life.

No comments:

Post a Comment