Thursday, May 13, 2010

PSYSC 2010/NYSTESC 2010

MY PSYSC CAMP EXPERIENCE

Life is a series of heyday and misfortune. Its true value is not measured in the amount of years to live through, but rather, in the use we make of them. To find satisfaction is not based on the tale of years we weave, but on our will to dream, our will to live, and our will to make the most of it by going beyond the boundaries of the possible and the ordinary.

It is amazing on how within 4 days in the outskirts of civilization and urbanity, we learn new things, form strong bonds of friendship, get to try first-hand experiences, face our fears, get an amazing 360 degrees view of a scenic panorama, and actually conjure self-actualizations and realizations. It normally would take some sort of miracle to wield these opportunities to an individual, but this camp defies the impossibility of certain things. However, I know deep inside, I was brought to attend the 2010 PSYSC camp by fate and by a driven-purpose; so were the rest who converged for the camp. I felt that we simply heeded Mother Nature’s call to reconstruct the strong foundations of our interconnection with nature and with each other, a universal truth we cannot deny.

When I was first introduced to my co-subcamp members, I found it difficult to interact and socialize. I rarely get out of my circle and I basically stick to my cliché routines. In four days, we formed a strong friendship. And though at times there may be friction in ideas and paradigms, we were able to survive each workshop simply because of our teamwork and unity, collective collaboration and intellectual contributions, and because we were given the opportunity to harness our skills. I then realized that together, our subcamp (Rescue Rangerz 22) can work wonders on any endeavor. We worked as a group in the different activities such as the Science of Mass Wasting. Group mathematicians sought ways to get the accurate angles of the prototype mountains while the group scientists dealt with answering the phenomena of mass wasting and soil runoff using scientific reasoning and approaches. Clash of the Thunders is more on physical competency and strategic tactics, yet it still requires the full cooperation of the members. Moreover, we got to have the best subcamp facilitator ever (Kuya Ace) to oversee us from time to time. We all enjoyed his company because of his witty sense of humor.

The lectures were probably the most important activities in the camp though some students obliviously neglect this. These lectures equip us, the stewards of the environment, with information, knowledge, and awareness especially when our environment has been transformed into a killing field wherein we face the wrath of nature and the consequences of our actions. I admit, I learned a lot of things though sometimes I just wish time would hasten up a bit. At least I wasn’t able to doze off in the middle of the sessions. I was also able to participate in the forums, which boosted my self-confidence.

Fun. I wouldn’t want to miss out mentioning the fun. Though I was stressed and strained like modulus because of extensive pre-camp preparations (which I thought was necessary), it was quickly averted by the fun I’ve experienced throughout the duration of the camp. Every

night is something to actually look forward to. Opening Night, Socials Night, Entertainment Night, Closing and Awarding Ceremonies. They’re what I call time dashers. Time Dashers? You must think I’m out of my mind. Well, I hate to break it up to you but I’m not insane, thank you. It’s just that even though we end up at almost midnight, everyone seems to be wanting for more and for additional time extensions. Everyone insatiably craves for more of every evening’s affairs. I also would never forget taking a picture with the giant python at the ParadiZoo.

I admit, I had a hard time socializing at first. While everyone was starting to form small cliques, I felt lost at sea with feelings of awkwardness. Those thoughts faded away because as time passed, I found myself slowly starting to blend in like everybody else; no longer a sore thumb which stood out from the rest because she couldn’t fit in.

Probably the Closing and Awarding Ceremonies was the most memorable night during the camp. We had our last laughs, last hugs, and shed our last tears. The atmosphere was a mixture of different emotions. People may think it’s funny to immensely emanate strong emotions towards our new circle of friendship which was only built up in four days. But the truth is, those four days seemed like wheeling years. Winning didn’t matter anymore. There’s something greater than winning which we found. An eternal flame of friendship burning and a linen of experience. These made our stay in Tagaytay worthwhile.

But for me, the best thing about this camp is the determination I’ve gained to help make a difference in our world. We are now in the era of consequences wherein we anticipate the possible disasters yet to storm us, bringing devastation of unknown proportions. I am one of the many Filipino youths who have been awakened to the new wave of consequences existing in our world. Because of this camp, I have been motivated to act in order to slowly avert the menace storming us. A spark of a promising fire in my journalistic spirit has been enkindled, allowing me to wield my pen, along with the thousand others, in order to persuade people to significantly lessen, if not decisively eradicate the factors causing the degradation of our environment. I’m very privileged to be part of this year’s camp. Even though I wasn’t able to attend the Super Junior concert (which was one of the main reasons I joined the camp because I assumed I could just pull through), I am happy to have been part of every activity.

At the end of the day, it’s not winning that matters, but the values that permeate within our being. Because every second of our lives should be compromised, not only basing on the successes attainable, but also for the failures that help build up our characters.

pictures:

Caption: Our banner! Rescue Rangerz 22!



No comments:

Post a Comment